Village Alms Houses

The Alms Houses are situated to the left of the main road, before the bridge.
These Alms Houses were a gift to the village from Elizabeth, Viscountess Lumley.
They were built in 1670. Lady Lumley owned much of the land around this area.
At the end of the row is the Old Grammar School, also endowed by Lady Lumley.
It was open to all children from the above named areas who could read the New Testament.
It had a spacious school room which could seat 200 pupils
In 1890, there were only 16 pupils in the school.